Ἀντέρως, id est, Amor virtutis.
Anteros, that is, love of virtue
Dic ubi sunt incurvi arcus? ubi tela Cupido?
Mollia queis iuvenum figere corda soles.
Fax ubi tristis? ubi pennae? tres unde corollas
Fert manus? unde aliam tempora cincta gerunt?
Haud mihi vulgari est hospes cum Cypride quicquam,
Ulla voluptatis nos neque forma tulit.
Sed puris hominum succendo mentibus ignes
Disciplinae, animos astraque ad alta traho.
Quatuor eque ipsa texo virtute corollas:
Quarum, quae Sophiae est, tempora prima tegit.
Tell me, where are your arching bows, where your arrows, Cupid, the shafts which you use to pierce the tender hearts of the young? Where is your hurtful torch, where your wings? Why does your hand hold three garlands? Why do your temples wear a fourth? - Stranger, I have nothing to do with common Venus, nor did any pleasurable shape bring me forth. I light the fires of learning in the pure minds of men and draw their thoughts to the stars on high. I weave four garlands out of virtue’s self and the chief of these, the garland of Wisdom, wreathes my temples.
View emblem in Mason Tung: Variorum Edition of Alciato. (PDF)
Hint: You can set whether related emblems are displayed by default on the preferences page
Relating to the image:
- Anteros (+ variant) [92D1911(+0)] Search | Browse Iconclass
- arm or hand held in front of the body (+ indicating, pointing at) [31A2516(+931)] Search | Browse Iconclass
- boulder, stone [25H1124] Search | Browse Iconclass
- clouds [26A] Search | Browse Iconclass
- festivities (+ wreath, garland ~ festive activities) [43A(+12)] Search | Browse Iconclass
- groups of plants (herbs) [25G13] Search | Browse Iconclass
- sitting on an elevation [31A2352] Search | Browse Iconclass
- the Four Cardinal Virtues (+ devil(s)) [11M4:56F2(+4)] Search | Browse Iconclass
- trees (+ stem, trunk) [25G3(+21)] Search | Browse Iconclass
- youth, adolescent (+ nude human being) [31D12(+89)] Search | Browse Iconclass
Relating to the text:
- 'Sapientia', mother of the Seven Virtues (+ devil(s)) [11M1:56F2(+4)] Search | Browse Iconclass
- (story of) Cupid, Amor (Eros) [92D1] Search | Browse Iconclass
- heavenly love versus earthly love [33C820] Search | Browse Iconclass
- Venus and Cupid (Cupid not being mere attribute) [92C454] Search | Browse Iconclass
- Virtuousness; 'Amor di Virtý', 'Attione virtuosa', 'Guida sicura de' veri honori', 'Virtý', 'Virtý insuperabile' (Ripa) (+ emblematical representation of concept) [57A6(+4):56F2(+4)] Search | Browse Iconclass
Hint: You can turn translations and name underlining on or off using the preferences page.