Welcome to French Emblems at Glasgow. This website gives you access to all the French Emblem Books of
the 16th century, along with their Latin versions when appropriate. While the seed of the emblem as a genre was sown
in Germany in 1531, it flowered and developed in France during the 16th century, and it was from there that it spread
The site has been developed, with generous funding from the Arts and Humanities Research Council under the Resource Enhancement Scheme, by a team led by Post-Doctoral Research Assistant Jonathan Spangler, and Project Director Alison Adams.
All but two of the emblem books digitised are from the Stirling Maxwell Collection in Glasgow University Library. The Bodleian Library and the Bibliothèque Mazarine have generously made material available to enable us to present the complete corpus.
The Project is undertaken within the OpenEmblem initiative
There are 27 browsable emblem books, in both transcribed and facsimile versions, and extensive search functionality.
- Alciato, Andrea: Livret des emblemes (1536) [fr / la]
- Alciato, Andrea: Emblemes (1549) [fr]
- Alciato, Andrea: Emblemata / Les emblemes (1584) [fr / la]
- Alciato, Andrea: Les emblemes [PART ONE] (1615) [fr]
- Alciato, Andrea: Les emblemes [PART TWO] (1615) [fr]
- Aneau, Barthélemy: Picta poesis (1552) [la]
- Aneau, Barthélemy: Imagination poétique (1552) [fr]
- Bèze, Théodore de: Icones (1580) [la]
- Bèze, Théodore de: Vrais Pourtraits (1581) [fr]
- Boissard, Jean Jacques: Emblemes latins... (1588) [fr / la]
- Boissard, Jean Jacques: Emblematum Liber (1593) [la]
- Boissard, Jean Jacques: Emblemes ... mis de Latin en françois (1595) [fr]
- Corrozet, Gilles: Hecatomgraphie (1540) [fr]
- Corrozet, Gilles: Emblemes in Cebes (1543) [fr]
- Coustau, Pierre: Le pegme (1560) [fr]
- Coustau, Pierre: Pegma (1555) [la]
- Gueroult, Guillaume: Le premier livre des emblemes (1550) [fr]
- Junius, Hadrianus: Les emblesmes (1567) [fr]
- Junius, Hadrianus: Emblemata (1565) [la]
- La Perrière, Guillaume: Le theatre des bons engins (1544) [fr]
- La Perrière, Guillaume: Morosophie (1553) [fr / la]
- Montenay, Georgette de: Emblemes ou devises chestiennes (1571) [fr]
- Montenay, Georgette de: Emblematum Christianorum centuria / Emblemes Chrestiens (1584) [fr / la]
- Paradin, Claude: Devises heroïques (1551) [la]
- Paradin, Claude: Devises heroïques (1557) [fr / la]
- Sambucus, Joannes: Les emblemes (1567) [fr]
- Sambucus, Joannes: Emblemata (1564) [la]
- Scève, Maurice: Délie (1544) [fr]
Navigation and Searching:
Alison Adams, Brian Aitken, Julie Barr, Graeme Cannon, Jonathon Fleming, Kathleen O'Neill, Stephen Rawles, Joanna Royle, Gillian Smith, Jonathan Spangler, David Weston.
Peter Boot (Emblem Project Utrecht / Constantijn Huygens Institute), Hans Brandhorst (Mnemosyne), and David Graham (Concordia, Montreal).
Alongside the Project's own staff and consultants, we must acknowledge especially the debt we owe to Etienne Postumus and Yassu Okayama-Frossati at Mnemosyne, and our other international collaborators, as well as the University of Glasgow for infrastructural support and especially the Faculty of Arts and Glasgow University Library for their interest and encouragement. More generally we would like to acknowledge individually the following: Peter Agocs, Chris Bailey, Helen Durndell, Trevor Graham, Laurence Grove, Henry Heaney, Peter Holmes, Henry Howard, Gavin Kelly, Betty Knott-Sharpe, Linda Knox, Stephen McCann, Margaret McGowan, Andrew McHugh, Donato Mansueto, Elizabeth Moignard, Kate Nimmo, Noel Peacock, Niki Pollock, Richard Rawles, Seamus Ross, Adam Rusbridge, Alison Saunders, Jim Simpson, Johan Tilstra, Arnoud Visser, Andrew Wale.
We welcome constructive feedback; please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org